Plant Rail Switch Technician
La Porte, TX
PSC Group is seeking a Plant Rail Switch Technician to join our team at a petrochemical plant in La Porte, TX. This position is responsible for working with the engineer on the train to safely move railcars in, out and around a FRA regulated facility. Experience is a plus but not required, and paid on-the-job training is available for entry level. If you're looking for a full-time, stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the PSC family!
4 on 4 off (12 hour rotating shift)
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Examines track list to determine which railcars are to be spotted, loaded, and/or shipped
- Proceeds to the designated track(s) to separate railcars to be shipped/loaded, and ensure that there is proper track space available for inbound railcars
- Separates inbound railcars and spots the railcar for loading/discharge
- Ensures that all railcars, which have been spotted, are properly secured by means of setting the brake
- Pulls and separates loaded railcars that will be shipped from those that have been preloaded
- Checks outbound railcars to ensure that all railcars are properly connected
- Weighs all inbound and outbound loads and empties
- Ensures that DOT certification for weight on outbound loads is not exceeded
- Completes any other duties that may be assigned to complete the job.
Why join the PSC team?
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
- Founded in 1952, PSC' s longevity is rooted in our commitment to quality service, safety, environmental protection, and taking good care of our employees.
- PSC is the industry leader in product handling and site logistics services for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers.
- Check out our videos at to see how the work we do makes a difference and is essential for our economy.
- Learn more about our company culture and view our PSC Connection employee newsletter at
- Our Core Values serve as the foundation for all we do-how we conduct our business, serve our customers, and treat members of our PSC family. Learn more at
- Medical insurance options with the company paying a large portion of the premiums, including affordable dental and vision plans for employees and their families
- Company-paid life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement
- Vacation, sick leave, and holiday benefits (varies by work group)
- Incentives, discounts, and bonuses
- Industry-leading training and development programs
You must be able to:
- Speak, write, read fluent English. Hear and have good vision.
- Regular on-site attendance and punctuality is required
- Work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 50 pounds floor to waist
- Push and pull 50 pounds horizontally
- Carry 20 pounds while walking
- Walk 3-10 miles per day
- Stand 4-8 hours per day
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Support oneself on a ladder with two feet and one arm extended for up to one minute on each arm
- Extend arms through normal range of motion, in both a horizontal and vertical plane,while standing and squatting
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
PSC Group, formerly known as Petroleum Service Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.